Over the past few years, every month or so, I’d get together with my sister and our dad and we’d record a podcast. It was a fun, free part of our membership site, hope*ologie.
After a year and a half we felt like it was time to re-evaluate. We decided to refocus and last November we added Brian as a team member and launched a new membership site for writers, called hope*writers.
So what does that have to do with What I Wish I Knew?
Ten years ago, when I started this blog all about home, I wish I would have had the kind of encouragement and support that we have in the hope*writer’s group. Because even though I’m here hosting a blog about home and imperfection–really, the only way I can do that here is through my writing.
Back then, I wish I knew where to go to ask writing questions. I wish I knew others who were dealing with the same issues in their writing life–blogging, finding time to write, working on a book, how to write a book proposal, dealing with criticism, wanting to give up, wanting to flush my computer down the toilet then burn all libraries and live on a deserted island–I wish I would have known where to go for support for that.
If you are looking for some encouragement, answers, guidance when it comes to your writing, then we’d love for you to check out hope*writers.
And we’re pretty sure you’ll like our new podcast…
We just launched season one of the hope*writers podcast and this episode is all about What I Wish I Knew Before I Wrote My First Book.
Here’s what’s new and different from the hope*ologie podcast…
- All about writing: If you are a writer, know a writer, or are simply curious about the behind-the-scenes life of a writer, you’ll definitely enjoy this podcast.
- Weekly episodes: Every week we’ll bring you brand new conversations about the craft, calling, and business of writing.
- Dr. Brian Dixon: Many of you already know my dad, my sister, and me. Now, Hope*writers co-founder Brian Dixon joins in, bringing a fresh perspective on marketing and promotion and a needed voice to the family conversation.
In this week’s episode we’ll share:
- What we wish we’d known before we wrote a book
- Embarrassing, idiot mistakes we’ve made (my public apology to Shauna Niequist, Sherry Petersik & Lysa TerKeurst)
- Tips on asking for endorsements
- How to be a team player in the publishing world
- Brian’s off the cuff idea for a new fad diet book (I’m still laughing about this!)
- How being gentle and wise work together
If you already subscribed to the hope*ologie podcast, then the hope*writers podcast should already be in your feed.
…and if you are not a writer, don’t want to be a writer and just need some home encouragement, stay tuned tomorrow we’ll be back to our regularly scheduled home inspiration–I’ll be sharing some porches that are so amazing I want to live on them. Here’s a little peek now.