5 Things People With Tidy Homes Don’t Do

how to have a clean house #tidy #kitchen

I have a high tolerance for disorder. Until I don’t.

Two years ago we moved into this fixer upper. It’s a much smaller house than we had before and I could no longer hide my messy ways or sweep them under the cowhide rug, if you will.

untidy

I started paying attention to how those Tidy People lived in their homes. I observed my mom and mother-in-law. I even asked my Tidy Friends questions about their habits without trying to seem like a weirdo.

Here’s what I’ve discovered…

barn

1. Tidy People don’t act like a slob all day, and then get their house tidy in one fell swoop.

Tidy People are smart, and know that cleaning up all at once is hard and not fun.

I’m my biggest enemy when it comes to keeping my house tidy. The number one thing I’ve learned from Tidy People is how valuable it is to develop some simple, non-drastic, tiny habits that when added together will change the level of tidiness in your home.

Tidy People are in a constant state of low-grade tidying, I don’t even think they realize it.

2. Tidy People Don’t Run out of Cleaning Supplies. They find cleaning products they love and they stock up so an empty soap bottle is never between them and a clean counter or tidier bathroom. Amen.

Y’all, I even found a Tidy Hack for this one!

Listen, if you’re ready for your home to smell tidy and fresh, like your Mom and Martha Stewart cleaned all day, then you’ll love Grove Collaborative. If you haven’t tried it, it’s the easiest thing you can do to keep your cleaning routine simple, doable and smelling like a dream.

I’m a long time Grove customer myself (three years now!) and along with practicing the tidy tips in this post, Grove is my secret weapon for keeping a tidy and clean home.

Grove offers a huge selection of high-quality natural cleaning products, and you’ll never run out of products again thanks to their monthly shipment schedule (totally optional and super flexible – I order about every 6 weeks if I’m out of stuff).

And right now, Grove is running a limited New Customer Deal that’s too good to ignore if you’re ready to tidy up:

Once you click over to Grove, your cart will auto-fill with some popular products as a suggestion. You can delete everything (but don’t delete your free stuff) and add different things to your cart, or keep everything as is. As long as you don’t delete your freebies and purchase $20 worth of additional products, you’re good.

3. Tidy People never let the sun go down on their filth. They know they’ll have to do it anyway, better now than later.

Tidy People do not watch Dancing With The Stars while there’s a sink full of dirty dishes sitting in the kitchen.

Tidy People practice the quick reset, that might mean different things to you than the Tidy McTidersons down the street, and that’s okay. Maybe for you that means getting the entire family involved right after dinner and clean up for five timed minutes of tidying.

Tidy people take a few moments each evening for a quick reset and then they watch Dancing in peace.

how to have a clean house #clean #bedroom

4. Tidy People don’t store things on the floor.

From the big decorative baskets filled with throws to the backpacks that never seemed to make it to their place. When I looked around our house, I realized that without my own consent, I was allowing lots of items to live on the floor. Tidy People know better than this.

Stacks of books, the box that should have been dropped off at the thrift store two weeks ago and the laundry basket can all clutter up the floor and make your home seem messier than it really is.

Tidy People know this secret, you’ll never see stuff stored on their floors.

5. Tidy People don’t over decorate. They value a cleared off surface more than a highly decorated surface.

Listen, I’m the biggest fan of tchotchkes that has ever been. I LOVE me some smalls and cute little decor. But over the years I’ve learned that having a bunch of pretty small things all over every surface was only making my life more difficult as someone who was already prone to being messy.

Now I’m really picky about what I allow on my surfaces. I aim for 1-3 decorative pieces per surface depending on the surface size. This allows our house to still look pretty but at the same time, it seems clean, even if there’s a layer of filth!

***

I’m not tidy by nature, but reminding myself of things Tidy People don’t do, somehow motivates me to pay a little more attention to making life a little easier on me and my house. It’s so worth it.

PS, Don’t forget to grab your New Customer Cleaning Kit , your future self with thank you!

*Please note that Grove currently does not ship to Canada, Hawaii, or Alaska

*I’m thrilled to partner with Grove as an affiliate

how to have a clean house #cleaning

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Comments

1. I never thought about the store nothing on the floor concept. I love that. One yr ago on Christmas my 92 yr old mother passed away. She was a saver, she had organized chaos, and I was left to purge as we had to relocate. She had boxes and baskets and binders full of things all over her room. I never realized how jam packed her closet was because it was so neatly stored. I will never look at “stuff” the same. So many things she couldn’t let go of meant little to anyone else. I was angry I was left to deal while grieving her loss and having to move. My 20 yr old and I truly started over 1000 miles away and we brought very little. Slowly over time I am learning to keep an uncluttered home. We have a dog and 2 cats and sandy soil so keeping floors clean is my battle. I finally get the no dishes in he sink at bedtime and waking up to a clean kitchen is the best. My 20 yr old is a little unorganized so I have had to give up on expecting her to do things my way. I refuse to buy too many baskets and such to organize things because they are an easy excuse to get things out of the way. I am currently on a 9 day staycation and each day I am doing one reorganization project. When we moved her in April we never really had time to think about placement. I love the new minimal life and really think before I make that purchase of that cute Knick knack. This was a great article for this season of my life!

• Martha, thanks for sharing your story, and your journey towards a more minimal life, xo myq

• It was after helping to clear the house of my father-in-law’s stuff after he passed that I didn’t want to leave anyone else with that burden, so since then, I’ve made it a point to not keep stuff I don’t need, and anything which has been “stored” in a closet/attic for more than a year is likely not needed.

• Shared the last paragraph “Now, when I shop, I ask myself “Will it fit in an Airstream” before I buy anything, as I have a bucketlist item to live in an Airstream when I retire.” This will be my cleaning mantra for the coming year.

• Not me! I’m leaving a giant house full of useless crap. Sounds abusive but she abandoned me on the day of her wedding (Im still paying off her wedding dress (in collections) ands it been 8 years). At least she will have some idea of who her mom was since she didn’t stick around to find out. But I’m not bitter…

• Barbara, you need to have a heart of kindness toward your daughter, however good or bad she is. Unforgiveness will hurt you much more than it hurts your daughter. Jesus said to pray, “Forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors.”

Incidentally, I have a far-from-perfect relationship with one of my own grown children, though we each love the other in the way that we are able. So I sympathize with your plight.

• Barbsra, perhaps the attitude that you have displayed in this one paragraph has something to do with your daughter leaving you.
          Please, rather than “rip me a new one”, just ponder on what I said.

• Barbsra, I took your comments with the light heart I think you meant them it in! The best revenge on your kids is when they have kids.

• Life is too short , at least you still have a daughter , I only wish I had you problem Barbara , I lost my daughter , she died after the birth of her baby , I do hope you stay as close to her as you can , we are not promised tomorrow 😘

• Jeannie Helton says:

Barbera, you cracked me up! I also joke in that same manner! Yes, I say make her go thru every scrap! Lol!

• If your possessions bring you joy, leave them for the no-good-nick to deal with. However, if your are holding on to them in order to punish her – time to let go and move on. Do things that bring you joy and forget the past. I focus on something positive in my life for each negative thought.If you are still paying for her wedding dress after 8 years pat yourself on the back for being a person of your word and a loving and giving Mom.

• Chasity Brown says:

Wow Barbara, I think I feel like the rest. Maybe if you look a little internally you might see why your daughter doesn’t rush home. I don’t rush to spend time with people that don’t make me feel my best self either. I tend to go the other direction. I have also found for family members that publibally criticize me, I do not enjoy spending my precious time with. But maybe your child is different, but I doubt it.

• Anonymous says:

Let it go, you have to live in that house full of useless crap!

• You may not be bitter, but very hurt. Have you forgiven her? If you know where she is maybe she needs to talk to you and is afraid to .

• Anonymous says:

I suggest you sell all the useless crap and go on vacation.

• Barbara, I get what you mean. I know how that sort of thing can hurt, and there’s nothing like it. So get the place together for yourSELF. She won’t sit wistfully, going through your stuff, and wish she’d been kinder. She’ll hire someone to clear the place out, sell what she can, and move on
          Do this for YOU, and only for YOU. Something tells me you earned it.

• Maybe if these know it all people, who obviously have not had a daughter disown you after she found a new family, and after you took money out of your retirement for her wedding…knew the pain, they would comment differently. Walk a mile in someone else’s shoes before you pray in the disguise of casting stones.

• Barbara…I love it! I am most certain that you posted this with a light heart. Whatever…I am with you girl. No preaching from me…and I am a Christian! I have a “lived in”
        home. Maybe one day I will get around to this stuff, but until then I am way too busy having fun!

• I’ve solved my sandy floor problem with a bot vacuum! Best purchase I ever made!!! A life changer for me:)

• Mine Botvac is malfunctioning!!! Omg, I usually run it nightly and It has been only a few days since contacting the company, but my floors are already unmanageable and no word from company yet on how to proceed with warranty work!

• You were angry, really how selfish

• Don’t judge until you walk a mile in another’s shoes! She may or not be angry but it’s rude to judge her as selfish when you don’t even know her!

• I won’t be storing things on the floor anymore either! 5 months ago, Hurricane Harvey flooded our home 3 feet. I had “stuff” everywhere, and a lot on the floor. Needless to say, it all ended up on the curb. I lost a lot of photos and valuables that I had stored under beds, won’t make that mistake again. I’m being very purposeful on where I place things now and how much clutter I won’t be re-accumulating.

• I too was flooded by Hurricane Harvey and had pictures stored under beds and lower drawers. Shoes on floors too. It will sure make one rethink how and where to store things.

• My basement took on about 3 inches of water with Hurricane Irene and I had cardboard boxes on the floor. Since then I have everything inplastic containers and labeled.

• Katie Marino says:

As I get older, I too, want to leave little behind for my kids to plow through! I’ve been on a de-cluttering and downsizing journey for a couple of years. I find it so freeing. I am a tidy person by nature, but I am always challenging myself to live with less.

• Anonymous says:

My mom has dementia and often starts to cry when she says she can’t remember all the things stored upstairs (she lives only on the first floor of her home now)…. all her kids have started to bring things down and it’s a great way to reminisce together on things.

• E

2. There’s a difference between cleaning and tidying. My mother cleans…the floor is always vacuumed or washed, the place is dusted, dishes are “soaking” in the sink…but you wouldn’t know it because there is stuff everywhere. Not a single flat surface doesn’t have “stuff”. Dining table has piles she “hasn’t read yet”…months old. Behind the couch is storage, the floor has piles of stuff. The place looks dirty, but it’s actually clean.
    My ex MIL was tidy. Everything was put away. She had organized storage hidden in cabinets, etc. But I dropped something on the kitchen floor & went to sweep it up. Wow! Looked like it hadn’t been swept or mopped in a month…no pets or small children either. But her house looked clean because it was tidy. My mom’s looks dirty because it’s not tidy. There’s a difference.
    As the article & comments reflect, pick up after yourself. Train your children to pick up after themselves. It makes a difference. Do something while your show is on… sort & fold laundry. When you have kids, it’s no longer about you. It’s about them. It’s about being their first role model. It’s about training them to eventually be able to take care of themselves. “Me time” was before you had kids, job, etc. and after they’re grown into self-sufficient adults. In between is their time.

• Totally agree! I guess I’m somewhere in the middle! 🙂

• Anonymous says:

Exactly – you hit the nail on the head. I realized one day years ago that my home was clean, like your Mom’s but never tidy. All that work and the place never looked clean, though you could eat off the floors! Now trying to strike a happy medium.

• I completely agree my ex-boyfriend’s mother’s house always seems really tidy all the time. Everything perfectly placed, but her toilet was always dirty. Under the rim looked disgusting. I know that because I never sit on other people’s toilets I always hover. I know TMI but you are looking directly in the toilet when you do that. Also my house stays clean because I hate a dirty kitchen and a dirty toilet that is my biggest pet peeve. I’m kind of a germaphobe . My house is not always tidy especially with two toddlers but it is definitely always clean.

• Anonymous says:

My mama is suffering from dementia . Her house used to be “tidy” now it has “junk” everywhere. She is embarrassed and defensive. I feel sorry for her because it bothers her but she doesn’t know what to do. I am praying to figure out how to help but help her keep her dignity too. I am trying myself to understand that I need to rid myself of “stuff”. My mama grew up in the depression where you kept everything just in “case”. I am not like that. I have been blessed but I see parts of my mama in me too.

• Anonymous,
        I too have a “keeper of all paperwork”, mom with dementia. After she has gone to bed at night, I gather up all that is unimportant, put it in a dark colored garbage bag & take it outside & put it in the garage collection bin.
        She has yet to notice because if she doesn’t see it, she doesn’t remember it! If she happens to think about something that I have thrown out, I just act puzzled.
        Arguments & bad feelings solved!

• Been there! They’ll be plenty of time to deal with the stuff later ☹️ My advice, for what’s it’s worth; spend time talking with her, find out her memories of the “things” she has. I’m dealing with things now that I wish I knew more about. Great grandmothers handiwork, wedding gifts from 55 years ago. Old pictures, genealogy research, childhood stories and memories, favorite songs, books … Just time, precious time, enjoy every minute, you’ll never regret it.

• Very good advice. My daughter is doing our genealogy and there are so many unanswered questions. There is no one left now to call and get the answers. Once mom is gone, the answers go with her. Tidy is the least Important at this time.

• My mom was also a depression era baby. She developed. Denwntia too and I finally moved her to assisted living as she was no longer safe living alone and cooking etc. I decorated he When I moved her I brought minimal furniture and those thins that were her favorites to mimic her old and familiar environment. I then I went about the task of tossing out the random stuff she collected. Just like you I found that she saved the most random thing for “what if”. Her new environment was clutter free. And it feature those main things that she recognizes as “home”. The rest I donated or tossed. She was much happier not having all that “”stuff” and lost the ability to hits since as nothing was available to distract her. Now of courseI have lots of chakas To figure out what to do with.! I’m getting better at letting the stuff go! And only keeping the things that bring me a happy memory and joy. My mom recently oaaaws away and I realized that you can’t take stuff with you … so just let it go! I ask myself “will it matter to anyone when I’m gone” If the answer is no, I get rid of it! Enjoy your mom even in her diminished state l. Love is the only thing that lasts! The memories of the love you gave her are something you can keep forever! ❤️

• Thank you so much for posting that! It made me realize that yes my house is clean but I have SD o much crap it looks dirty and I couldn’t really see past my own crap. Bless you for posting!

• Try taking a picture of a room from high and low angles. It’s amazing what we get accustomed to see that we don’t see it anymore. A picture is a different viewpoint.

• I love your outlook on this! Totally agree. You are setting an example. My mantra, Philosophy and mottos are:
      “Never leave a room empty handed”
      “clean as you go (cooking)”
      “Everything has a place”

• “When you have kids, it’s no longer about you. It’s about them. It’s about being their first role model. It’s about training them to eventually be able to take care of themselves. “Me time” was before you had kids, job, etc. and after they’re grown into self-sufficient adults. In between is their time.” I really disagree with this. I think that PART of being a good role model for your kids is modeling taking care of yourself, giving time to yourself/spouse/marriage, taking care of your home, being a great employee if you work outside the home, etc. It’s all part of parenting. In terms of “tidy” versus “clean” I think you & others are spot-on, my husband and I are very tidy. I worry less about things being perfectly clean all the time — but staying tidy HELPS a great deal when it does come time to clean, because you don’t have to spend so much time pre-cleaning tidying everything up & moving things out of the way & finding places to put things. I think part of staying tidy is not allowing things to accumulate. We have a small home, so we’ve adopted the habit that when something new comes in, something old goes out (donated, sold, tossed, whichever is appropriate). Every time things come in to the house, I try and find a place for them immediately so that they aren’t still sitting on the kitchen table or counter (or floor!) days later. You bought it & brought it home for a reason, so put it somewhere that honors it or takes care of it!

• Lots of people have problems with junk mail piling up. I have a recycle box in the garage by the door and no junk mail comes in the house. Saves lots of time going through stacks later.

• I’ve started doing that, too. I look through the mail before I bring it in the house and throw out the junk mail in the recycle bin outside. What a difference it makes!

• I bring mine in and go through it to shred. I know too many folks who have had their identities stolen because they recycle junk mail. I’ll go for untidy, thanks, rather than having my money and whatnot stolen.

3. This is spot on for me. Never leave dishes in the sink overnight be cause all of that mess will be waiting for you in the morning. Maybe it’s my personality, but I can’t relax after dinner until I know the kitchen is clean and closed. And not just dishes washed, but counters and stove wiped down, also. As a side effect, I’ve become quite good at “listening” to the TV and naming the movie based on the music score, or a few lines of dialog. I agree that doing a little every day lessens the time spent on the weekend cleaning.

4. My grandmother had a saying “Never handle anything twice.” I think of that often when I’m being lazy and start to put something in a spot where it doesn’t belong and will have to be moved again later. This is a great article. Thank you for sharing.

• Diane Sanders says:

I had a friend who called this the “OHIO” trick. Only Handle It Once. It works wonders, especially when bringing in the mail with all the junk. Pitch it, before it hits the counter top!

• That’s the OHIO method….Only Handle It Once….lol

• I love this! Thank you – this will be my new motto.

• Anonymous says:

Love the motto. One to live by.

• I have been following this motto since I read your article. And things are staying a little bit more tidy. I am a work-in-progress, but I will still try to follow that OHIO trick!

• Oh, I TRY to do that, but I can’t tell you how many times something gets moved CLOSER to where it goes, or sadly, even further away because I need that exact spot for something…and sometimes it NEVER gets home before I need it again!…*sigh*…much to my husband’s chagrin. But I’m a REALLY nice person! That counts for SOMETHING, right? LOL…

5. I love what “anonymous”, above, said about when you have children, the need to model clean for them. Sighs. Now that mine are all grown and gone, haha, I have had to learn to do the right thing with my cute collectible habits, for my own good, since they are no longer watching.
    I, too, have had to clean up after a deceased mother who was a product of the Great Depression and never, ever tossed anything. It was sad. I don’t want to do that to my kiddos.
    Thanks for these five tips, which are far easier on the mind than guilt from looking around. The paralysis is lifting! <3

6. Thanks for the encouragement without being judging. I read a book when I first got marriied, 50 years ago. The thing I took away from it (don’t remember title) was that the author said to go through your home room by room a put back a thing out of place. I have done that and love not waking up to dishes in the sink and clutter.

7. This is great! Thank you for sharing. I can relate to all of these except the running out of cleaning supplies. I use Norwex! Not only am I tidier because I don’t have to buy cleaning products, but my cloths are constant. And my home is safer without the unnecessary chemicals. If you guys are interested, check out my website https://www.jessicalamar.norwex.biz Happy Cleaning!

8. I like doing dinner dishes first thing in the morning. Evening family time is precious. Plus, it gets me started on accomplishing other tasks.

• This is what I do also. Sometimes though when my college aged sons come to visit,doing dishes with them can be a great time to talk.

• This is what I do also. Sometimes though when my college aged sons come to visit,doing dishes in the evening with them can be a great time to talk.

• Kelly Martin says:

I often wake up at 5, clean kichen, put on coffee and read the paper, take the dog out. Hate washing dishes right after dinner, especially if IV done the cooking.

• I agree. I have some weird thing, when I’m tired and start to clean up after dinner, somehow nothing looks clean. I start doing dishes and before you know it, all the closets are being torn out and I’m having some anxious feelings about the mess that wouldn’t bother me during the day. So, I never clean up after dinner, it can wait until I’m rested.

• This makes ALL the sense to me! I do like my sink empty before bed, but then I walk away or I feel just as you described. Then I’m mad at everyone. No good for bedtime with 4 kiddos. :(

• I am the same way. When I sit down to eat my body says, the day is OVER!!. I get up fresh in the morning and enjoy cleaning my kitchen think about what I will need for lunch and/or dinner, defrost, or pre-prep and know my day is planned and no 5pm What’s for dinner ???

9. Eatme@suckit.net says:

This article is stupid

• Anonymous says:

Your email saus it all

• Then why don’t you unsubscribe to anything mailed out by Nesting Place? Obviously, this is not your kind of reading if you can’t read without making a nasty comment. (Or perhaps you are one of those people who doesn’t realize that you can read something, disagree with it, or just simple not “enjoy” it, but remain quiet if you have nothing positive — or even simply a different viewpoint — to offer.) I’m sorry if you’re, perhaps, just having a bad day. Go do something to feel better, but no need to spread your mood. That’s not helpful for you or anyone else.

• Pam apparently you missed the name of that person above. This was not someone who even cares about anyone’s posts. This is just a vicious random person on the internet trying to make everyone’s lives miserable like his/her own. So sad they have to hide behind words rather than seeking the help they truly need.

• It’s “vicious”, now, to say that an article is stupid? Wow, and people say that the millenials are oversensitive! Why don’t you have the basic self control to just ignore an obvious troll and keep scrolling? They only “make everyones’ lives miserable”, because you openly let them! Don’t let them!

• If your email is eatme@suckit.net, you must be having a bad life. You could use a hug.

10. “A place for everything’ and everything in it’s place” easier said than done! My problem is I’m reeeally bad at organizing so everything becomes a junk drawer and I struggle throwing things away that I know will be bought again at Walmart in two weeks because I threw it away :( I see these shows where a company comes in and organizes, gives you someplace to start. Man, I wish I could do that! We’re moving this year after 12 years in this house with 3 kids and I am overwhelmed! But yes, all of your tips are wonderful and I’m always so pleased when we implement them :)

• Ya ya…sounds like you need some really good advice here. Moving is tough especially if you are not an organizer. The easiest way to start is by making 4 signs. KEEP, YARD SALE, DONATE, TRASH. Make yourself 4 piles. If it’s something you want to keep be sure it is something you have used within the last year or two and absolutely cannot live without. After you have sorted through everything, have a very big yard sale. The last hour of your yard sale drop the price on everything, (NO MATTER WHAT IS LEFT) to a dollar or 50 cents or a quarter. You will definitely get rid of a lot in that last hour. Don’t tell anyone about the last hour u til the last hour. After your yard sale is over, whatever is left add to your donate pile and take it to the church of choice, or your local thrift store. I won’t give it to goodwill or Salvation Army as they just don’t do enough for the public with the funds. I take everything to our local Christian Mission. They give the stuff away in an orderly fashion. Dump trash as you are dividing the piles up as this will be eliminated immediately and makes things much easier. The things you keep, get them packed up as you finish dividing the rooms/piles and mark them stating what room they belong to, therefore, making it much easier to unpack in the right place. Hope this helps and good luck!

• This was meant for Tanya

• Shirley and Tanya, I have moved a lot and have finally gotten to the place where we have the four bags/boxes going but different headings: Donate, Give Away, Trash, Keep. The time spent on garage sales is usually not worth the money made and I would rather just give away things that I know friends would like or donate anything of value to a good cause. I then set up several different dates for Donation pick-ups. Again, it is a time saver not loading it into my truck and hauling it somewhere when there are many organizations who will come pick up donations. My five kids have gotten used to having a trash bag placed in their room for trash as well as a bin for give aways and we just continually try to clean out. It is a never ending process it seems but I figure, at the very least, it teaches them about giving/generosity and keeping a tidy home. Ours is no where close to tidy on any given day but it’s a journey and we just keep plugging away.

I swear, I kind of felt like this article was going to say “Tidy people keep some rooms off limit”…..it always seems like people who keep a really tidy house, just don’t use certain spaces. But then, maybe they just do a really good job keeping their kids from unloading toys in every available nook and cranny! :)

• Lol, I found a great house keeping book called “How to get control of your house without losing your mind.” I used to do the 4 pile thing, but never got around to dealing with the piles. She writes for messy people (who may or may not have pizza boxes on their coffee tables) anyways, she says to ask yourself if you are keeping an item where the first place you would look for that item would be and then go put it there right away. I’m doing a declutter that way right now and it’s working SO much better than every attempt before!

• Sharon Rexroad says:

You speak my language except my pizza box is on my dresser, not my coffee table! I’ll have to go find that book.

11. Angela Caillouet says:

I live by all these things you have spoken about and it sure does make life a lot easier!
    My motto: CLEAN AS YOU GO…..
    My home is always neat, tidy and clean. It’s so much easier keeping up with the pace instead of running around like crazy for hours or days trying to clean and tidy up messes everyone has made.
    Like my mom always said, “A place for everything and everything in it’s place.” Easy enough.
    Thanks Mom!

• For me it’ simple, when you’re finished with something put it away. When I’m cooking I try & clean as I go. All thanks to my grandma. Now if only my husband would listen, so it really isn’t so simple😠 He does love his piles & since I love him piles it is. (on his side of the bed)😊

• Jodie, Piling is not by definition bad. Not dealing with piles is the problem! I gave my husband a good size basket in the walk in closet to download his pockets into. I don’t have to deal with his piles, and he knows where something form his pockets probably is located. Likewise with the stuff he puts on the night stand, etc. Every so often I will ask about the piles–is that stuff for the office? Can I take those buttons? etc. Non threatening questions meant to help him move stuff along. This might also include “hey, do you mind if I put that stuff in a box to de-clutter the room?”. This usually prompts him to go through it on his own. Mind you, we are talking about a small amount of clutter that would fit into a small banker box and he also values a tidy home.

It can also help to suggest watching a show or listening to some podcasts or audio book while the two of you sort through your own things.

Rather than trying to get an adult to stop piling, it can be much easier to help them control their piling.

12. My hubby & I are now retired and moved to a smaller one story house. It’s amazing how I no longer buy household items because I literally cannot think of where it’s going to fit. My adult kids don’t appreciate grandma’s antiques like I did so I take a picture of the items and then sell them on Craigslist or give it to Goodwill. Now if I could just control my reading materials, Getting books on Kindle is becoming fun. I’m not a neat freak, I just get tired of moving stuff around.

• Try the public library. They even have a visiting librarian if you need that. No accumulation of books and free with your property tax or rent!

• Everyone, please please please do not donate to Goodwill. The CEO takes home over 700K in pay yearly. All the while they are grossly under paying their employees with disabilities. I have heard reports of wages from $2 and change to $3 and change all the way down to $0.22 an hour. Treatment of these employees is pretty horrendous.
      I would suggest the salvation army etc

• Goodwill does help people who need to buy things at a lower price than what retail stores charge. Yes, the CEO makes a good amount of money running the company but it’s his job. Not everyone can afford to buy clothing and toys from expensive stores.

13. Each evening, I say to myself, ” Do I want to wake up to this (dirty dishes, things scattered around the living room, clothing not hung up or not put in the hamper)?” If the answer is “no,” I take care of it before I go to bed. If it’s a week night, I also put out what I’m going to wear the next day, as well as prepare my coffer pot, which doesn’t operate with a timer, and decide what I’m going to have for lunch the next day, as I eat at work. Because I’ve done this for so many years, is has become a good habit that has made my life much easier.

14. Judy Smith says:

I’m a keeper and don’t regret it. Memories are for the living and when I’m gone my children can decide what memories they want to keep or let go of. I love to look back on an item, newspaper clipping or photo and remember. I am very family oriented and proud that some of the toys my grands have played with are 2nd generation toys. I think my children are happy to see their children playing with the same toy they played with and that hopefully a 3rd generations will play with some of them. I am trying to organize and some things I am getting rid of, but I do have a large amount of storage totes that may never be opened again by me or anyone, but for history sake they will be available as long as I am here.
    And just to let you know I have nieces and a nephew that have brought me some of their toys because they know they willl be safe with me. No cardboard boxes please!

• I’m just like you! No grands, but I feel the way you do about the memories, and “memory joggers.” As far as the actual items go, I would watch an organizing show a while back in which the host would always encourage people to take a photo of the item, then get rid of it. So I do try to do that with some things.

• Since my Dad’s death I have been learning a lot about his life by just going through his stuff. It is interesting.

• VICKIE D LENNON says:

Finally! I found someone who agrees with me. I am a shameless lover of stuff. It doesn’t bother me at all. If tidy is what makes you happy, by all means go for it. My house is lived in, not filthy. My life is too full to worry about what others think. These are great tips for those who are bothered by “clutter” though. To each his own. When I am dead, anyone who wants can throw away anything he or she wants. Meanwhile, it is mine. Leave it alone. No, I am not a deranged hoarder…just think differently.

15. Great tips! The one thing I have learned over the years is to pick up as I go along. That means when I walk through a room, if someone left a glass on the coffee table, I pick it up and take it to the dishwasher straight away. This goes for little things like empty toilet paper rolls, towels draped on the bath, shoes under the table, etc. I TRY to get our family to follow, but it doesn’t always work…sigh.

PS. Thanks for the tip on GROVE. I ordered a trial set! :)

• Your house sounds like mine

• No offense at all ok? But why would they follow your example when they know that you’ll do it eventually?
      I had the same problem when my kids were growing up. It’s human nature to take the path of least resistance I guess.

• We always taught our children to clean up after themselves and turn off the lights, computer, television, etc. when they were not going to be returning to the room soon. If they didn’t / forgot, whenever we discovered their oversight we would find them wherever they were and have them come do what they forgot. That meant calling them inside from playing, having them stop video games, etc. There were very few exceptions to what we would interrupt.

That sounds so harsh! But the thing is, you really only have to do it once or twice. After that they know that they need to complete what they have started, including cleaning up and switching off, before moving onto something else. We remind them of that when we ask them to stop what they are doing to put things away / turn them off: “Next time do that before you move onto something else so I won’t have to interrupt you”.

When you make it their problem not yours they will step up. I should note that it is key that your expectations are reasonable and that your children understand the rules and also the exceptions. If my kiddos built an elaborate train track we don’t expect them to take it down when they are done playing with it for the day but we do expect that all the excess track be put back in the bin so that we can walk through the space. We also don’t want to tiptoe through that space 2 weeks later unless they are still truly actively playing with the track.

• My mother in law would swoop through and fold blankets and put away glasses if I got up. It made me feel messy and unwelcome in her house.

16. Love the article! These are things I wish to achieve. I actually know these things, but when you have a small home with small children it can be difficult to keep up. It also takes money to purchase nice containers such as trunks, baskets, etc. to store junk in that you absolutely can’t get rid of but need to hide. If you don’t have the money to purchase nice things like this, then stuff just has to sit on the floor or on a surface where there is already too much clutter.

• It is hard when you have small children. Cut yourself some slack. Enjoy them while they are small. Just do a general tidying up and keep as organized as possible. The day will come when they are grown and your house will be nice and perfect and you will wish there was a little clutter. Good luck

• I understand your dilemma! Here’s what I did to help feel more tidy when my boys were small: 1. Control the areas I can, such as countertops and dressers. Keep as clutter free as possible and will look tidier. 2. Organize closets and cabinets so everything has a place. That doesn’t mean expensive baskets, but $1 bins from the dollar tree or even cardboard boxes with flaps cut off. You can upgrade over time if you wish. 3. Collect an item (or 3!) from the room I’m in to carry to the room I’m going to. The dirty sippy cup might not make it into the dishwasher until later, but it will at least be in the sink! The same with dirty clothes and shoes. 4. Keep your trashcans emptied. Why? Because it makes it easier to toss stuff away if it’s empty and not overflowing. 5. Insist the school age kids take their stuff/junk to their rooms and not leave in common areas. Apply this to yourself and s.o. and will make common living areas MUCH neater.

Those are my 5 that worked…from a self-avowed clutter bug. :) Good luck to you, Rhea!

• I covered cardboard boxes with lovely, already-owned-it fabric I glued on and, in my child’s room, pictures from discarded magazines from our local library. Why pay $10 to $40 each for fabric covered cardboard boxes when you can make your own with your preferred fabric?

Enjoy this time with your littles!

17. I learned to be tidy from my husband, of all people! He was so tidy that if I was cooking or baking (and I always have all my ingredients out before I start), he’d be putting my ingredients away before I even used them!

• 0mg l have experienced that’ with my Ex! Lol 😉

• One of my daughters did this when she was growing up. Grr.

• When my husband and I cook we are also constantly tidying up. We simply ask if the other person is done with something before taking it away.

It is not unusual for us to put a meal on the table with literally nothing in the kitchen waiting for clean up after dinner. Usually it is just a pan or two.

That means that after dinner we have the plates, silverware & glasses to put in the dishwasher, the excess food to put in the fridge, and that is all.

WARNING: if the person cooking isn’t on board with this it will be exceedingly annoying to them and it can put everyone in a bad mood.
      WARNING: Stay out of the way of the cook! Observe what they are doing and might be about to do and choose another path or activity if what you are about to do might interfere! This is a safety issue!

• We do the same, Cyndi. My husband likes to cook but hates to clean – me, the opposite. I clean and assist him so all is hot at the same time and on the table with minimal clean-up afterwards. I also ask him ahead of time what he’d like to cook and make sure all ingredients are there so he continues to enjoy cooking. I never leave a dirty kitchen as I believe it discourages him from cooking when he walks into the kitchen. It’s all good – I’m lucky, but my help creates my “luck.” We have a good time working together in the kitchen. As for other rooms my motto is take something as you go so clutter never happens – my husband, too (finally trained). Also, a room is not clean to me if the floors are dirty so sweeping is my final task.

18. Your kitchen is gorgeous! Where did you get your cabinets from, and your flooring?! Sorry a little off topic!

19. Love these rules to live by! With just one rule, your home is going to be much more organized and tidy! Thanks for sharing!

20. Patricia Vestevich says:

Just reading the FIRST comment convinced me that for THIS season of my life…..I need to print these comments + the article itself + thank our realtor for posting :)
    Grateful right now to Nesting Place….

21. I tidy daily and clean thoroughly once a week. Can’t stand a mess and hate getting up or coming home to a dirty kitchen. Just puts me in a bad mood. I have my teens help and our house stays presentable most of the time.

22. It’s funny, I have read most of these things or been encouraged by my middle-aged daughter… but I see how she has adopted those in her house, it is clutter-free. I noticed she’s always busy so she’s keeping up with stuff. Do you agree that clutter is hard when you have too much stuff? So giving away is the key. I’ve heard that before the making for piles is a way to sort out the obvious feeling of confusion in your house . . for instance I have so many pillows on my bed that are decorative that I am going to get up out of my sick bed since I’m recovering from a cold and decide which ones to put away and which ones to give away. I bought an under the sink shelving in a box at Target that at least gets it up off the base so you can see and not dig for what you need that was $24 worth of saving my sanity at night when I’m tired My worst problem is the bathroom, is not for cleaning it because I can’t stand dirty, so I’m saying that it’s the second sink that has become my throwing place. there is nothing better than organization I love what you said about everything has a place and I need to when they have to be places on time that has affected me because there’s always something that can steal my time away and then I get sidetracked and forget about time. I like the suggestion of laying things out the night before but I need to do so before I’m too tired once I’m relaxing with a glass of wine after dinner is put away, I get zero done.. things back but first of all I need to clear everything off the counter and out of a sink and find new places that work better I’ve been doing this by putting containers in my drawers two out of three are done and two cabinets are done so that means I only have one drawer left. So that will be how I decide which things to get rid of; mostly they should be thrown cuz remember things are not good if the preservatives in them have passed their better day. I know the feeling about when I pass on I’m fearful that my daughter would be stuck with my disorganization, and that’s not fair So. I bought clear containers at Target over the holidays only x 4 containers that are red for Christmas decorations that are the newest that I am keeping. I’ve only saved a few ornaments for myself and the children were home but I created a small shoe box for each child of the ornaments I bought them each year and had mark their initials on so I sent those off to them a couple years ago. I like having less and only something that reminds me of those fun years with four kids at home. Speaking of garage storage I bought 12 clear containers, which keeps the light on my shelving in the garage from being blocked. So now when I need something I can see it easily in Market ahead of time to be a designated place for those things that will will only make it a fun job to decorate next year so now what about the fact that I have so many projects to do waiting me they are on my list for New Year’s resolutions so I think I am going to start with my own bathroom and finish that job first it actually won’t take more than half an hour then I will feel like it is my little place 4 Haven that should feel like a little bit of heaven when I’m done. I know I’m sick but I know I don’t want to wake up to this tomorrow and I go back to work on Tuesday so that gets me 48 hours to work I’m going to look at my list and decide which are going to have top priority start small, and yes focus on what is most important to yourself and to your sanity – making a change will allow me to enjoy more time, and time cannot be bought…therefore, change is good!

23. It’s funny, I have read most of these things or been encouraged by my middle-aged daughter… but I see how she has adopted those in her house, it is clutter-free. I noticed she’s always busy so she’s keeping up with stuff. Do you agree that clutter is hard when you have too much stuff? So giving away is the key. I’ve heard that before the making for piles is a way to sort out the obvious feeling of confusion in your house . . for instance I have so many pillows on my bed that are decorative that I am going to get up out of my sick bed since I’m recovering from a cold and decide which ones to put away and which ones to give away. I bought an under the sink shelving in a box at Target that at least gets it up off the base so you can see and not dig for what you need that was $24 worth of saving my sanity at night when I’m tired My worst problem is the bathroom, is not for cleaning it because I can’t stand dirty, so I’m saying that it’s the second sink that has become my throwing place. there is nothing better than organization I love what you said about everything has a place and I need to when they have to be places on time that has affected me because there’s always something that can steal my time away and then I get sidetracked and forget about time. I like the suggestion of laying things out the night before but I need to do so before I’m too tired once I’m relaxing with a glass of wine after dinner is put away, I get zero done.. things back but first of all I need to clear everything off the counter and out of a sink and find new places that work better I’ve been doing this by putting containers in my drawers two out of three are done and two cabinets are done so that means I only have one drawer left. So that will be how I decide which things to get rid of; mostly they should be thrown cuz remember things are not good if the preservatives in them have passed their better day. I know the feeling about when I pass on I’m fearful that my daughter would be stuck with my disorganization, and that’s not fair So. I bought clear containers at Target over the holidays only x 4 containers that are red for Christmas decorations that are the newest that I am keeping. I’ve only saved a few ornaments for myself and the children were home but I created a small shoe box for each child of the ornaments I bought them each year and had mark their initials on so I sent those off to them a couple years ago. I like having less and only something that reminds me of those fun years with four kids at home. Speaking of garage storage I bought 12 clear containers, which keeps the light on my shelving in the garage from being blocked. So now when I need something I can see it easily, marked, and to find them they will be in a seasonal calendar order. So that will make it a fun job to decorate next year. What about the fact that I have so many projects to do: They are on my list for New Year’s resolutions so I think I am going to start with my own bathroom and finish that job first,as it actually won’t take more than half an hour. I will feel like it is my little place 4 Haven that should feel like a little bit of Heaven! I go back to work on Tuesday so that gives me 48 hours to work. I’m going to look at my list and decide which are going to have top priority – start small, and yes focus on what is most important to yourself and to your sanity – making a change will allow me to enjoy more time, and time cannot be bought…therefore, change is good!

24. My youngest son, 18 yrs old by the way, told me recently, that by way our house looks compared to all of his friends houses, that we make more money. I asked him what he meant. He elaborated, “That our house looked like it had been interior decorated and it was always neat and clean.” I asked “How did his friends’ houses look?” He said, “One of their parents have their mattress on the floor in their bedroom.” I looked shocked! I told him that I bought the bedroom furniture set in mine & my husband’s master bedroom particularly because I planned on it being the last set I ever bought for us. It was solid wood, built to last. I don’t know why but for some reason I have to have my environment pleasing to the eye as well as neat and clean. I literally can’t function, have a hard time thinking if there is stuff out of order. I was finally diagnosed ADD bout 8 yrs ago put on medication which has helped, getting cognitive behavioral therapy to help handle it well. I just had this thing that if you get it out then you put it back when you are finished using it, if you dirty it, then you clean it, if you drop it, then you pick it up and so on and so forth. I am also making sure I leave my kids prepared as well in case anything should happen to us. My mom didn’t. Anger is like drinking poison and expecting the other person to die. Nothing happens.

25. When I met my hubby 13 yrs ago I told him I was a minimalist. “Less is more” I had to explain to him what it meant and he agreed, but now, wow he leaves tools all over the house when working on something. We are getting ready to sell our house, all we need to do is clean the floors and dust. Boy do they need it. We donate everything we can. Furniture, clothes, books, and other odd items. It helps a lot.

26. Sylvia Knittel says:

You forgot a rule: When you finish using something, put it away right away. :)

27. Two words… Flylady it has changed my life. It’s not just keeping my home clean but also about changing your habits through your whole life. http://www.flylady.net/

28. I like it…good ideas. I also agree with the person who said there’s a difference between clean and tidy…I am definitely NOT the tidy! It’s difficult when you have ADD/procrastination to live by rules – especially the ones you set for yourself! I have managed to make myself abide by certain things for my own sanity, such as always putting my keys in the same place when I come into the house. Right now I should be shuffling papers and paying bills at my home desk, but here I am! Personality and lifestyle count for so much. I am naturally an early riser, and even though it’s nice to get up in the morning to a clean kitchen, the thought of those dishes in the sink at the end of a long day is so…I can’t even describe how I feel about it…but I go through them quickly and easily with my morning energy. So, yeah, my house is a clean mess. Especially since I started back to work several years ago, but I have a hard time admitting I can’t “do it all.” I have just removed a giant time-suck volunteer position from my life :( . It’s so much more fun to do things for others than for my own purposes! But I am learning…the hard way…because for some people that’s the only way.

29. My mother taught us the acronym CAYG… Clean as you go. Ive passed that down to my own children, the oldest two who are married and still using CAYG. I have OCD, so cluttered spaces make me very anxious. Im driven to have order and a clean house before I can relax even a little. Having raised five children, this was a huge challenge, especially since three of the five inherited their fathers messy gene. Angel…. I remember when flylady.net started years ago! Make that sink sparkle! :)

30. I really liked reading that thought that you can change throughout your life! Weather your tidy but not clean or clean but not tidy it takes persistence and going back to what you know works for me making the list and putting the most important job at the top and making sure that I complete it before moving on. That makes the rest of it fly by! Sometimes I have fear of the unknown, but it’s never as hard as I think it was going to be. The next step is cross it off your list and just dig in 2 to complete what is on the list at the end of the day, or week I feel fantastic!

31. OMG this is SO helpful!! Thanks!

32. Scraping and scrubbing crusty, day-old dishes takes so much more time and effort than rinsing a freshly used dish! I never feel like cleaning up after a meal but I’m pushing myself on this one lately.

• I agree so I clean as we cook and after the meal I at least rinse the dishes (the left sink rule is “ready for the dishwasher”) – sometimes you just want a quick spiff and onto the couch with husband and a glass of wine/movie to continue the nice evening – then into the dishwasher before bed or next morning – no biggie. Never spoil the moment cleaning. Another thing – make your bedroom a romantic place. It is the “nest” of the house and keeps the romance alive (I’m 60 but I certainly don’t feel 60.)

33. so funny how this is an advertisement for Grove masked as a real blog post. Aaahhhh the internet is turning into a big advertisement just like that movie Branded where advertisements control everything

34. Very nice article and so true. My husband and I just don’t leave much clutter around, but rather are in a constant state of tidying, like you said. It doesn’t take much more time and the calm house is a motivating reward. We never go to bed with a mess, either, even after a big holiday party or dinner group. We stay up and make everything back to normal, so in the morning, it’s “like it never happened.” Thank you for the post!

35. Brittany Hudson says:

My house is in shambles. Its very embarrasing i dont have people over. Im just exhausted. I have 3 children 10 ,2,and 1 a man who works from home and a mother who i give care. 4 dogs and a cat. It is winter so the dogs are inside. Noone else lifts a finger. I feel beaten. Any advice.

• Brittany Hudson says:

I used to be the tidy person. But i cannot keep up. I cannot get rid of the animals as much as i want to they are a lifetime investment.

• I encourage you to set a timer, every day for 15 min. What gets done in those 15 mins of cleaning gets done. Pat yourself on the back and hit again tomorrow. Eventually it will become habit and within a month the messiest house can be put in order. Be honest and frank with those you love and say Help. Can you call in a niece or nephew to either a. Help watch little ones for a bigger clean up day in exchange for supper of their favorite meal. B. Hire them to come help you and work out a swap. My daughter helps her grandmother (it used to be me). She she helps with vacuuming and dusting on tall shelves and down low. They work 1/2 hour, 2 days a week then sit and share a snack they both love.

• That’s a familiar situation. My parents took care of my disabled sister, and helped raise her three children. When my mother’s health failed in 2013, Dad took over her care, and one of my nieces took on her mom’s care. At that time, it was my parents, my sister, her two youngest daughters, a son-in-law, and one infant. They also had 2 dogs and 2 cats. When my dad’s health failed in 2015, my niece had taken over, while raising her own daughter.

You would think with all these adults, there would be plenty of manpower to divide the workload, but in all truth, my sister kept the house picked up (it was all she was able to do), and the niece with the baby took care of her mom and my dad. The only room that was “clean” was the kitchen. The living room and dining room were “tidy”. Everything else was a clutter bomb.

The point is, you also have a lot going on. Don’t beat yourself up over not being able to keep a perfect home. Do small tasks as you are able, and tear the bigger ones down into sections that you can handle. Your 10 year old is old enough to learn to do some minor cleaning and straightening, so use that resource. If you can’t get some willing cooperation, then invoke parental privilege and restrict access to a favorite toy / device / TV program, etc. Let your child earn the privilege to use these things.

The two younger ones are at the perfect age to teach basic tidying skills – put the toys away when you’re done, one toy at a time. And ask your husband to help. Even though (or maybe because) he works from home, he should be able to do simple tasks during his breaks, or after work hours.

If your family is completely uncooperative, and I know from experience some are, then you must reach out and ask extended family or friends to come and help you. Even if you plan a single weekend for a minor clean up, just a few extra people can make a tremendous difference.

Good luck!

36. I think my biggest problem when it comes to having a “pinterest” worthy house, is my husband’s decor. He has things he likes (including copious amounts of posters), and wants all of his weird stuff on display. It was fine when we were engaged and he still had his own house and I had my house, but now that we’ve combined, I’ve realized I am NOT a fan of his decorating style whatsoever. So I got to decorate the kitchen and my half of the bedroom, and he decorated the living room and library…and bathroom…and hallway. He figured as long as there was a blank wall, he could decorate it with stuff. I finally had to just let it go and realize we will NEVER agree on this subject. But it’s still frustrating thinking about how I WISH it looked as opposed to how it actually does.

37. I have taken to heart the words of one very smart, older friend, she always said “say good night to your house and it will say good morning to you!”

38. Clutter steals my peace. However I have health issues and my husband is out of work with a yet unknown illness. I am caregiver for him, help with my mom, and my 3 grandchildren. I dont have the energy to constantly police the rooms. I do well to keep our clothes clean. If I cook, I really don’t have any energy left to clean dishes and the kitchen till it shines, much less keep clothes and random items put away. Its very depressing. It sounds simple to say just put things back, or put them in labled bins to go out of the house, etc. But all I can do right now is try to survive each day.

39. When my children turn to slug mode when it comes to pick up/clean up in their room, I make them watch hoarders on TV with me. Best teacher ever. We run an Airbnb so a good one half of our house needs to be 5 star clean at a moments notice. My MIL taught me to look around the room before you go to bed. Fluff the sofa, throw away that piece of trash, lean over and grab that tiny not so tiny bit off the floor and then in the morning you can wake up to a fresh day. So since it’s winter. I fold up all the comforters we cuddle in while watching tv, and put back down my really cool tray that I have a few catalogs and a candle on back on our large ottoman. We have a small dog that knocks it over before I can grab it EVERY single day. One final wipe down of the kitchen cabinet top. Turn off the lights and sigh. I also recommend the trend of dividing portions of your home for clean out. Ie once a year really look at what is in your kitchen. If you don’t use it donate, every six months your clothes as seasons change. If you didn’t wear it at all in the last six months donate it. January is a good month for that. Don’t buy new hangers for newly gifted items trade something new for something old. We do that with toys and sports equipment too.

40. My house is also tidy, but gets a good cleaning at least every 3 to 4 weeks. I no longer collect things, I decorate minimally, and we have adopted the rule of “Only Christmas decorations remain stored for more than 6 months.” I’ve spent the past 2 years clearing out my parents’ home, and I don’t want my own family to have to go through that.

In addition, with less “stuff” cluttering up the house, less actual trash gets hidden, and I’m able to keep a much healthier atmosphere for friends and family, and I feel so much better inside.

41. I must add, a ROOMBA is the best invention ever.

42. I can relate to not keeping things on the floor. I don’t think think of myself as over the top on tidy but I hate clutter. Using my walls to store items is a great way to keep clutter away and make a fun decor statement. Floating shelves and fun storage racks are always a good thing, I think :-)

Fun post, thanks!

Blessings,
    Elizabeth

43. I am a Tidy McTiderson! Lol I think your post encompasses the key concepts to a tidy home perfectly! It’s an everyday occurrence and always being mindful.

44. I LOVE these tips! I, like you, have a high tolerance for messes (until I don’t) 😅! My mission right now is to become more like these “tidy people” you speak of. It’s a real process 😂.

45. tanks from good website

46. The hardest part for me is that we moved in state 3 years ago when our 3rd child was only a month old. My husband was already living and working here and we never had time to actually unpack, go through things (we have inherited stuff from deaths in the family that we haven’t gone through yet either), and put things in a place. I would love to purge, but now we have 4 kids and we are both working and homeschooling and cannot seem to find the time to sleep, much less organize the chaos. I truly believe that if we had a week to do some serious damage, we might be better able to keep up with being tidy. But until then, we are in a constant and maddening state of trying to catch up and we can never get there.

• One box at a time! Rome was not built in a day! Devote 10 minutes a day to clearing out of a box, and you’ll be through it before you know. It’ll become addictive and before you know it you’ll find more time to spend completing the project.

47. I’ve been watching those hoarding shows, and boy howdy, I am going through everything that hasn’t been used, worn or touched in a year or more. Out it goes! It’s so liberating! Tired of dusting all those knickknacks too. MORE is less!

48. Anonymous says:

Love the article & philosophy. What if tidy person married non toddy person, then made 3 non tidy children with him?

49. I have one “nest” beside my chair. Laptop, tablet, phones and phone books. Books are on my tablet, including my Bible. The rest of the house is clean and tidy but this little nest is my gift to myself. I love it! Now if I could get the pictures organized, framed and hung, it would be great. I’m 75 and no longer cook so I’ve given away most of that stuff. Got into Essential Oils and I have to have them where I can see them to use them. The counter mess was too much, so I bought a pretty little box. Now I only have to open it to use my oils.

50. My teenage children have watched as I have tried to close up my parents home over the past year. 50 years of business records, dozens of boxes of never used Christmas decor, and so on. Even a massive auction left us with a week of clean up in a garage full of abandoned items. I have promised my children they will never have to deal with that and my daughter holds me to it by regularly helping me purge. I buy a lot less now. Always thinking of how it will fit in my home and not just picking up something because it’s nice. If something comes in, something has to go back out.