5 Things People With Tidy Homes Don’t Do

how to have a clean house #tidy #kitchen

I have a high tolerance for disorder. Until I don’t.

Two years ago we moved into this fixer upper. It’s a much smaller house than we had before and I could no longer hide my messy ways or sweep them under the cowhide rug, if you will.

untidy

I started paying attention to how those Tidy People lived in their homes. I observed my mom and mother-in-law. I even asked my Tidy Friends questions about their habits without trying to seem like a weirdo.

Here’s what I’ve discovered…

barn

1. Tidy People don’t act like a slob all day, and then get their house tidy in one fell swoop.

Tidy People are smart, and know that cleaning up all at once is hard and not fun.

I’m my biggest enemy when it comes to keeping my house tidy. The number one thing I’ve learned from Tidy People is how valuable it is to develop some simple, non-drastic, tiny habits that when added together will change the level of tidiness in your home.

Tidy People are in a constant state of low-grade tidying, I don’t even think they realize it.

2. Tidy People Don’t Run out of Cleaning Supplies. They find cleaning products they love and they stock up so an empty soap bottle is never between them and a clean counter or tidier bathroom. Amen.

Y’all, I even found a Tidy Hack for this one!

Listen, if you’re ready for your home to smell tidy and fresh, like your Mom and Martha Stewart cleaned all day, then you’ll love Grove Collaborative. If you haven’t tried it, it’s the easiest thing you can do to keep your cleaning routine simple, doable and smelling like a dream.

I’m a long time Grove customer myself (three years now!) and along with practicing the tidy tips in this post, Grove is my secret weapon for keeping a tidy and clean home.

Grove offers a huge selection of high-quality natural cleaning products, and you’ll never run out of products again thanks to their monthly shipment schedule (totally optional and super flexible – I order about every 6 weeks if I’m out of stuff).

And right now, Grove is running a limited New Customer Deal that’s too good to ignore if you’re ready to tidy up:

Once you click over to Grove, your cart will auto-fill with some popular products as a suggestion. You can delete everything (but don’t delete your free stuff) and add different things to your cart, or keep everything as is. As long as you don’t delete your freebies and purchase $20 worth of additional products, you’re good.

3. Tidy People never let the sun go down on their filth. They know they’ll have to do it anyway, better now than later.

Tidy People do not watch Dancing With The Stars while there’s a sink full of dirty dishes sitting in the kitchen.

Tidy People practice the quick reset, that might mean different things to you than the Tidy McTidersons down the street, and that’s okay. Maybe for you that means getting the entire family involved right after dinner and clean up for five timed minutes of tidying.

Tidy people take a few moments each evening for a quick reset and then they watch Dancing in peace.

how to have a clean house #clean #bedroom

4. Tidy People don’t store things on the floor.

From the big decorative baskets filled with throws to the backpacks that never seemed to make it to their place. When I looked around our house, I realized that without my own consent, I was allowing lots of items to live on the floor. Tidy People know better than this.

Stacks of books, the box that should have been dropped off at the thrift store two weeks ago and the laundry basket can all clutter up the floor and make your home seem messier than it really is.

Tidy People know this secret, you’ll never see stuff stored on their floors.

5. Tidy People don’t over decorate. They value a cleared off surface more than a highly decorated surface.

Listen, I’m the biggest fan of tchotchkes that has ever been. I LOVE me some smalls and cute little decor. But over the years I’ve learned that having a bunch of pretty small things all over every surface was only making my life more difficult as someone who was already prone to being messy.

Now I’m really picky about what I allow on my surfaces. I aim for 1-3 decorative pieces per surface depending on the surface size. This allows our house to still look pretty but at the same time, it seems clean, even if there’s a layer of filth!

***

I’m not tidy by nature, but reminding myself of things Tidy People don’t do, somehow motivates me to pay a little more attention to making life a little easier on me and my house. It’s so worth it.

…and, extra fun bonus–spend $39 and get this sweet enamel tray–I’m telling you, you’re gonna fall in love with Grove!

*Please note that Grove currently does not ship to Canada, Hawaii, or Alaska

*I’m thrilled to partner with Grove as an affiliate

how to have a clean house #cleaning

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Comments

1. Anonymous says:

I know an ad disguised as an article when I see one. 😒

2. katharita says:

another thing tidy people don’t do …. have fun!

• Anonymous says:

Oh. Yes we do as we are very organized!!

• Why not! Just excuses. Why is it so impossible to imagine a clean, tidy, organized house that I take care of on my own means that I still can not run my business, take care of my kids, drive them places, have dance parties (anywhere), play board games, visit family and friends, have sleep-overs, take vacations and so on??? Make a mess…clean it up. Eat your meal…wash your dishes. Simple really. Get organized, take care of your home and you will see how much time you will have to do fun stuff. I am just saying! If you don’t want to be judged for not having a tidy home, don’rpt judge those that do. That statement is judging

3. Great article! I’m not a tidy person, and I liked the simple ideas. I know these from watching people who are tidy, but it’s nice to have them in such a well written and organized article. Thanks!

4. Mrs Meyers is NOT natural it has many toxic ingredients and the smell is very over powering and not fresh and clean. If you want complete transparency on ingredients and a very clean fresh smell use Pure Haven, ships directly, made fresh and highly effective. The truth is in the ingredients not the marketing, don’t be fooled by other companies.

5. Michele Vogel says:

This feels like “Mom Shaming”. This isn’t reality either. Be real or don’t be at all.

6. Irene alex says:

A place for everything and everything in it’s place. When your through with something put it away. How much effort is it to put a dirty dish in the dishwasher instead of piling up the sink(my pet peeve) inconsiderate action when you feel someone will clean up after you.

• The trick is to get everyone else in the house on the same page.

• sheryl smith says:

i agree,that meyers soaps pretty expensive..i assumed…getting more people involved must hep.The bar is to high for 1 person

• Housewife horror on board says:

Definitely agree…it doesn’t make a difference how OCD clean and organized you are (and I am!) If kids and hubby aren’t on board then your just a maid/housekeeper!!! Which then becomes very exhausting and downright hurtful that nobody cares not appreciates all your efforts or hard work and you literally just want to start drinking 2-3 bottles of wine a day or something even stronger unfortunately just to get through the stress and the pain of what has become your housewife horror reality… like where thee heck did I go wrong?! Trust me I’ve been there!

• I couldn’t agree with you more Housewife Horror!

• FibroFlaringAgain says:

Omg. Thanks for pointing this out! Screenshot for when hubby or son think im being unreasonably crabby for no reason! I have chronic pain too, the assholes!

• Anonymous says:

Amen

• Agreed! I have all teenage boys and while they have been raised to pick up and clean, well they are boys! The boys and my hubs do not do their part so I feel like a maid. My home is not super messy but as I like to say “ well lived in”

• And I forgot to say that I am disabled and have chronic pain and serious medical issues. That makes a huge difference in what can be done by one person in a household of 5.

• Anonymous says:

Click bait and it went as far as getting into the replies

• What about when you don’t have a dishwasher? I tend to wash what I use and put it on the drying rack, but my family (including my husband) haven’t really grasped that concept and leave the dishes for someone (usually me) to clean later. Bleh.

7. Anonymous says:

Tidy people don’t have kids or chronic illnesses

• Anonymous says:

I teach high school physics full time, live with two Border Collies, and have fought Complex Regional Pain Syndrome for twenty years and I keep my home tidy!

• Crystal says:

Not true at all. My children were raised with their toys organized and that made it easy for them to clean up. Everything had a place. And they were allowed to play with anything they wanted but when they were done with it, it went back before anything else came out. Never got overwhelming.

• Anonymous says:

That is so true!!!! We moved into a new home 1yr ago. I worked hard to keep it clean, I have 2 autoimmune diseases which cause debilitating fatigue & severe chronic pain. Then we moved my 82 yr old Mother in with Parkinson’s bc she couldn’t be alone anymore. My children have autoimmune diseases also. Now my bedroom upstairs looks like a pig pen, plus the 3 dogs sleep & pretty much stay with me. By the way, 1 can’t walk & was just diagnosed with pulmonary hypertension, another 1, enlarged heart & arthritis. The 3rd isn’t on chronic meds but the usual sporadic ones, antibiotics, worm medicine etc etc. oh & now Menopause! So broken sleep & Mood swings & the rest can make u a beast! But ai keep the living room straightened—have a glass front door! Hate it!!! Kitchen is usually cleaned up; I don’t cook. No time for me. But all I can do is sweep floors. Always keep bathrooms & toilets clean tho. Hate dirty bathrooms!

• Painedmomof3 says:

Well said. First I have to add that all natural cleaning products do not often kill germs. Hydrogen peroxide is a safer alternative to harsher chemicals as it kills as many germs as bleach, the natural cleaning chemicals are not germ killers. I recognize chemicals aren’t great for young children but hydrogen peroxide is pretty non offensive. I have young children, an adult child and a grandchild as well as a dog and 4 cats(all taken in as rescues at a time with less kids and/or stress). My youngest can be running to disaster (and my house is 99 percent kid safe) while I’m holding something to be put away (can we say mail or paperwork that needs to be filed?) and I have to drop it and handle whatever situation is at play. I can not sort mail, or do any number of household chores with 2 young boys playing the way that they do. One of my children has special needs, one is a toddler, I have to protect the toddler from the older child and protect the older child from himself. Add baby grand daughter, now this is 100 percent of my time. Add chronic pain and a significant other with health issues-now, teach me how to be tidy without tying the children up or staying up until midnight. Sometimes there is not a minute to put something away, or 10 minutes to wash dishes. I do get the children as involved as I possibly can, and I am
      VERY organized. Not all situations are for all people. How does one do yard work when they have small children and pain issues and NO support system for instance? There are not organizations for the young and disabled only the elderly, unless of course you have lots of money to hire a nanny or housekeep or both. No excuses, no shaming, just facts. I work hard for my house to be as clean as it is. The best solution will always be to just get rid of “the stuff” but that’s a whole separate process that takes an enormous amount of time.

8. Anonymous says:

how much were you paid to write this ad?

9. Well even though this does seem like a blog aimed at getting you to buy an auto ship program for good cleaning supplies it was a great, well written article. I’m not as tidy as I used to be and I miss that old me.

10. Debbie32796 says:

My husband a tidy person and 24/7 he cleans our house, and it is annoying at times, you know dishes clanging and trips in the garage doing laundry…leaving the door open; but I know full well, we would live in a mess if he stopped.

11. This is a great read! Thanks for sharing! I never thought of myself as a slob, but sure looks like I am! After my husband died, I lost interest in almost everything … including being neat! When you live alone and are unsupervised, well it just happens! My intentions are there, but my give a damn took off with my reason to care! Maybe some day! Then again, maybe not!

• I’m 80,and my husband been gone for eleven year’s.I have two grand children living with me, and my house was spotless .I sold my home and moved into a town house, we had formal living .And it looks like a family room!

12. Anonymous says:

One thing I always must do before I go to sleep, is make sure my kitchen sink and countertop is cleaned…nothing worse then getting my coffee and lunch and stuff ready in the morning for work trying to struggle with kitchen clutter…I just feel like I’m one step ahead especially when I get home and have to prepare dinner…I don’t want to spend extra time cleaning up day old dishes and clutter when im already hungry and tired

13. Tidy people don’t have kids or chronic illnesse

• AMEN!!!!! TIDY FOLKS COULD VOLUNTEER TO HELP THOSE HOME BOUND AND/OR ILLNESSES PREVENTING THESE FUNCTIONS. I’VE ALWAYS BEEN NEAT, CLEAN BUT LIVED IN SO ITS COMFY LUKE A HOME NOT A MUSEUM. BUT NOW I CANT

14. I have a hard time with three children, I am in constant cleaning mode. I do the final clean after they’re in bed and I get to wake up to a nice clean house and I super clean everything the day before my twelve hour shifts at work (3 of them) and t basically stays that way since no one is home.

15. Anonymous says:

“My house is clean enough to be healthy and dirty enough to be happy “. And by the way I love Mrs. Meyers Cleaner.
    Mother of 4 and grandmother of 5

16. Cynthia says:

So tidy folks. clean their houses. Learn something new…

17. PS, Don’t forget to grab your New Customer Cleaning Kit , your future self with thank you!

I totally agree with Carol. Near and Tidy went out the door with chronic illness and close family deaths. It will get there, when it gets there. Not as fast as I would like, but it will.

Also See above… please change WITH with WILL and I will tidy extra more today. Going to go and keep doing the Tidy Thing now. Enjoy all your Tidy.

18. Cheryl Hensley says:

I liked the article, made me get up and get busy! :-)

19. Anonymous says:

Now I’ve seen everything. People arguing about a clean house. Geez!

• I’m with you these are suggestions..If you want to try them out for you and your circumstances GREAT if not don’t criticize those that are willing to try..We all live in different circumstances and difficulties quit blaming everyone else and give the suggestions a try if they work for you in just one way you have success..Thank you for trying to help..God Bless

• That’s pretty surprising, right? Keep in mind this – Couples often come unstuck arguing over who’s going to do what, how often things need to be done and attitudes towards how clean the house should be. Arguments that start about something seemingly simple can really spiral out of control and become much more serious.

20. Hurrah for Tidy Folks! Yea, yea, siss. boom bah.

21. Toni Rende says:

Already buy Mrs. Meyers but it is so my housekeeper can use it. It’s hard to get rid of items that friends, students, relatives and coworkers have gifted. My housekeeper, who doesn’t mince words, says I am the messiest clean person she has ever seen! Yes, I have white, slip covered Pottery Barn furniture and a white quilt on my bed with a black chihuahua in it. My husband told me 20 years ago Southern Living was never coming for a photo shoot so I gave up on OCD cleaning and never looked back. After all, I am a therapist!

22. I’m new to Nesting Place. I just read the article and I agree that it was just a come on for an advertisement! My overall impression after reading the comments section was WOW! You ladies need a HOBBY! I have never seen so much passionate rhetoric about nothing! My house is a cluttered mess. I’m a slob! There are SO many fascinating things in this world to learn about and I want to experience them before I die. Sorry ladies but cleaning my house better is just not on my bucket list!! I won’t be back, I just surfed here on my way to an astrophysics site!

• Happy to not be miserable says:

THANK YOU!!! A friend posted this so I thought I would give it a quick read during a quick break of taking care of a loved one during the end of their life journey. Holy cow at the absolute nonsense. Definitely time to stop taking breaks & finding things to read online. I’ll look at the stars or listen to the birds next time. Geez

23. I’m new to Nesting Place. I just read the article and I agree that it was just a come on for an advertisement! My overall impression after reading the comments section was WOW! You ladies need a HOBBY! I have never seen so much passionate rhetoric about nothing! My house is a cluttered mess. I’m a slob! There are SO many fascinating things in this world to learn about and I want to experience them before I die. Sorry ladies but cleaning my house better is just not on my bucket list!! I won’t be back, I just surfed here on my way to an astrophysics site!

24. Anonymous says:

OK, so this is fun!
    Yes, the article had interesting ideas of tidiness. Yes, it had an angle. Two tears in a bucket! I still read the whole thing and the comments so I obviously felt it was a worth while coffee break.
    Now! To Get Jiggy With IT… Whether your a Rabbit or Tigger makes no never mind to me. Though, as a Rabbit in Tigger training (someone who feels the need to FOLD the toilet paper before the bathroom is considered clean and is a mom of a few tiggerish children) I have always admired those Tigger types. What Rabbit seriously doesn’t want to see the rose in the vase before the dust on the table.
    I am a mom of four son’s… To be clear, the difference between a splat thinker or a line thinker can be detected as soon as your children have charge over their own socks and underwear drawer. (In my home that is early–because I need to let things go and allow myself to do tidy somebody ELSE’S WAY)
    So! “Whatever your hands find to do do it with all your might as if serving the Lord not people” this is what I remind my boy’s. And one of my boy’s will often remind me that a cluttered desk and an unruly hair style are often marks of a genius. WHAT!!! Outwitted by someone else’s way again!!! (“Son! your splat way isn’t fitting into my line thinking”) But a word of warning to US all. Somebody else’s hands are finding other things to do and our own ways may be stifling to the production of another.
    Signed…
    Almost There
    or um perhaps
    A Work in Progress

25. I’m just trying to sign up for your decorating advice/emails, have yet to find the proper space to do that ?? Help.

26. Wendy hobson says:

Are clean and tidy people really happy.OCD is sweeping our nation.leave your drawers on the floor,just for fun. It’s liberating to be sloppy some of the time.Try it!

27. How’s the kit free it you have to spend $20 to get it?? More like, if you spend $xx.xx then you get these free items with your purchase!

28. Yeah there were some good tips, but is it really such a bad thing to relax once in awhile? What’s the big deal if I leave dishes in the sink (as long as they’re rinsed& not caked with food) for a day or two, if it means you get to relax after working & then cooking dinner! Nothing wrong with being tidy, but there’s also nothing wrong with having your house be comfortable & llooked ived in! Many of my daughter’s friends all say how much more comfortable they are in my home then their own because I don’t spend every waking minute cleaning and I don’t keep it so tidy that they are afraid to eat or drink outside the kitchen. Granted I would love for my place to be nicer than it is (don’t we all?) But it’s not worth spending all my extra time & money doing so, if I cant enjoy living it too!

29. I appreciate the ability for folks to sell their business, product, ideas. But those who have 1 or more children and have to work a full time job, and come home to something needing to be done, like feed the kids, laundry, etc…etc…tidy is not something easy to do, at all! Now if your an older adult and don’t have children, you can and usually do develop better skills. Then your articles may come in handy for those who just don’t know how. You have gotten a lot of negative comments, so sad.